Discrimination Protection Policy (as adopted from FISA)
The safety and wellbeing of children in independent schools is of paramount consideration. Children deserve to be protected from abuse, neglect, bullying, harm or threat of harm. Therefore, FISA BC independent school member associations and their affiliated schools will ensure that children attending these schools will experience a learning environment that enables every child to feel safe, accepted and respected.
Delta Christian School will continuously develop strategies to make students feel valued, respected and connected within the school community. This will include the protection of the students’ physical safety, social connectedness, inclusiveness as well as protection from all forms of bullying, regardless of their gender, race, culture, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, while remaining consistent with the independent school’s faith-values, cultural perspectives and philosophical values.
There are many strategies and activities that can be employed within Delta Christian School to enable students to feel safe, accepted and respected, and to facilitate a conversation on strengthening the learning environment for children, such as:
- Engage students in the decision-making process of policies and activities that build community
- Engage parents in the educational program and school life of their children
- Encourage parents to share their culture and expectations
- Promote open communication among administrators, teachers, staff, students, families and communities
- Be proactive in connecting with students that are experiencing academic or social issues
- Communicate expectations, values and norms that support positive health and academic behaviour in the school community
- Acknowledge students by name
- Be visible within the school during class transitions, breaks, before/after school
- Find ways to acknowledge students for their contributions in the school community, including those where improvement comes only in small increments.